Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update

March 18th, 2020

All of us on the Gate City Marathon committee are currently optimistically planning to host the Gate City Marathon as initially scheduled on May 17th, 2020. At this time we are proceeding with event planning with this goal in mind. However like all of you, we have been monitoring current events in the city, state, nation and globally abroad.

We are, as of yesterday, nine weeks out from the race date, which falls just beyond the CDC’s recommendation that “for the next 8 weeks, organizers cancel or postpone in-person events that consist of 50 people or more throughout the United States.” Thus our scheduled date falls into a band of time in which we hope to see normal running events resume. However we must also recognize that the cancelation of our event remains a possibility due to COVID-19 depending on how the next several weeks unfold.

Therefore we want to update all of you on how we are looking to proceed in this unprecedented situation: 

  • Registration remains open, but we discourage immediate registration. We will not change the registration price on March, 29th as planned. The next price increase will be deferred to mid-April at the earliest.
  • Discussing and meeting on how to increase sanitation measures during our event, both during the expo and while out on course.